Once again, we are announcing new tutorial series on Mobile Testing Tutorial series. You will learn challenges and solutions on Mobile testing, how to define the Testing Strategy for Mobile Application testing, what are the different types of testing perform on mobile devices, overview of Automation testing tools for mobile and many more.
We have created this tutorial series to learn basic and advance concepts of Mobile application Testing. We are going to cover following topics in this tutorial series. For your convenience below we have listed all tutorials on this page.
Mobile Testing Tutorials:
Tutorial 7. Real Device Vs. Emulator Testing
Tutorial 10. Overview of mobile Automation Calabash
Tutorial 11. Overview of mobile Automation IOS-Driver
This Mobile Testing Tutorial series is simple and easy to understand and to better understanding we recommend to go through sequentially.
Tutorial 1. Mobile Application Testing Strategies
In recent years, mobile market has come with increasing number of mobile devices, smart phones, tablets, and many other mobile applications. It has become a primary resource of communication for business owners, consumers, and clients.
The increasing number of mobile app business is totally into consumers hand; consumers decide which mobile application to rock or which to throughout.
Many applications come in the market; application failure and success totally depend on consumers like and dislike. However, the big question arises – What all things can make a mobile app appealing to influence consumer behaviors and make them connected with your brand and products?
Hidden secret of successful mobile app is its strong mobile app development strategy. Strong strategy becomes a key component of app development and decides whether the mobile app is going to meet customer expectations and business goals or not.
Mobile application testing is a gateway to test the quality of a mobile app before reaching their target audience and app stores.
1#. Selection of Device Model
Choosing a mobile device to test a mobile application is a most leading thought, before initializing the mobile app testing process. It’s a very difficult decision, because the mobile you choose for testing an app will be represented to millions and billions of customers.
Various things to be considers before selecting the mobile device for testing,
- OS Version– Testing of a mobile app should be done on all major versions of mobile OS.
- Screen Resolution– Although, users play with different screen resolutions while using the app, testing should be done on various screen resolution.
- Compatibility Factor– A mobile applications may behave in a different manner on smartphone, tablet, and any other mobile devices, so the mobile application should be tested on all devices with which it is compatible.
While choosing the device model, if necessary, memory size, connectivity, etc can also be taken into account.
2#. Beta Testing process
Beta testing process is an excellent and very effective method of mobile app testing. This process meets you to real world testers, developers, real devices, real communicating network, and extensive geographic exposure.
By implementing beta testing on mobile app, testing facilitates these many things,
- Network density
- How well the particular app is behaving on a specific devices
- Networking of real-world users with the app
- How well other equipment related to the particular device behaves.
- Compatibility of device with multiple networks (Wi-Fi, 4G, 3G, etc.)
3#. Cloud Mobile App Testing process
Cloud testing is another helpful selection to test mobile applications where it delivers a web-based mobile testing environment to deploy, test, and manage the mobile application. One of the biggest benefit, it reduces the project cost too.
Let’s see, what all benefits users get by using his testing process,
- Although, Cloud testing provides a synchronized and pre-configured test environments; very capable in reducing defects associated with mistakenly designed test environments to improve the quality of application to a great amount.
- By using this testing process, you no need to invest on any other advance testing tools, various types of configurations, licensing, and testing resources. It saves testing business from setting up on-premise test environment which is time consuming and cause the project delays. Moreover, cloud testing process reduces the cost, time, and increases the testing efficiency.
- It is much more capable in solving problem of complex, dynamic, and dissimilar app in an in-house environment.
- A cloud-based testing process delivers real-time testing results where defects are analyzed while running the test.
4#. Network Connectivity
All mobile applications deliver rich functionality on outstanding network connectivity. So, to get the real result, it is necessary to test the mobile application of supported network environment.
Various network imitation tools are accessible to test mobile apps which offer great assessment to the testing activities. These tools test mobile applications in different network speeds, bandwidths variations, etc. In addition to testing the app in a full internet connectivity environment, cloud computing keeps other factors in account during testing like; testing in limited connectivity, high speed, without connectivity, and metered connectivity.
So, to make mobile app successful on various network environment, it is necessary that mobile app should perform consistently on various network environment.
5#. Manual Vs Automated Testing
Automation testing is really helpful and effective while doing regression testing (repeating test procedure again and again) and testing while developing and updating an application.
Effective automation testing tool is costly when you purchase it first time, but how much it returns is more than its cost. Automation testing is really helpful in case of regression testing.
But, all applications and their functionality can’t be tested by automation tools. For those applications and their functionality, manual testing process is suitable to test the mobile application effectively. Let’s see in which scenarios we can use automation tools,
- When an application grows and develops frequently.
- When frequency level of regression testing is high
- When an application carries maximum number of functionality and test cases.
- To confirm application compatibility with new OS version
- Ensure backward compatibility when the application is promoted
To make the mobile application successful, we can’t ignore the importance of mobile application testing strategy, but it is uncertain that good strategy can deliver quality mobile app and can increase the performance of the mobile application. With good testing strategy, good target devices and testing methodologies should be there. In next Mobile Testing Tutorial series we are going to see “Introduction to Mobile Application Testing“. If you like this article then please share with your friends and colleagues and stay tuned for next article in this Tutorial series on Mobile Testing.