In the SDLC (software development life cycle) tracking bugs is one of the most important step & without this step software cannot be complete. It is a big time-saver to add & manage bugs is in the Bug Tracker system. Few of the bugtracker are not only tracking the bug but also the managing full software based project & can be used for many other tasks.
But choosing a correct bug tracking system which suits your needs is not a simple deal. But here I am trying to make it easy for you, in this article I am presenting a 10 free and open source Bug Tracking Tools with full list features & where to get this bugtracker tool for a better development process.
Bugzilla is web-based project management software that is being published as Open source software. Bugzilla is used to manage software development and help you get a handle on the software development process. Bugzilla is powerful & commanding tool that will allow your team to get organized and communicate effectively. It is allow tracking the bugs & code changes efficiently. This is developed by the Mozilla foundation. This Bug Tracking Tool is used many of top rated organizations like Mozilla, Facebook, NASA, Open Office, RedHat etc.
Bugzilla can Successful projects often are the result of successful organization and communication.
Benefits of Bugzilla: Help to increase product quality, get better communication with team members, Using bugzilla helps to improve customer satisfaction, Bugzilla can increase the productivity of software development process.
- Bugzilla is get popular in short period of time because of it features.
- Increased scalability and performance because of optimized structure of database.
- High security
- Support advanced query tool & save the queries
- Bugzilla incorporated with email notification facility
- Bugzilla allow to setup email preferences based on user profiles and also user can add other email ids.
- Excellent Permissions system
Download Bugzilla Bug Tracker Here: http://www.bugzilla.org/download/
Redmine is a web based most commonly used project management tool. The Redmine is written in Ruby on Rails. It supports multiple platforms with multiple databases. The feature of Gantt charts and calendar helps to supports the illustration of projects and their deadlines. In this issue tracking system you can create Task & subtask which helps to categorize the issues in the project management.
- It supports multiple projects on same time
- Strong role based access control
- issue tracking system is more flexible
- Gantt chart and calendar give support to the illustration of projects and their deadlines
- Superior files and documents management
- Email notifications based on projects
- Efficient Time tracking
- It support self-registration for users
- Support Multiple languages
- Support multiple platforms with multiple databases
Online demo: You can take look of online demo of Redmine on http://demo.redmine.org/. On this site you can get the latest demo of Redmine on which you can see evaluate the newly added features. All these feature can access by only registered user so you have to take up with registration & then you can create new project and test out the project administration features.
Download Redmine Bug Tracker Here: http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Download
The Trac is web based, open source software. Trac is the superior version of wiki & use as the issue tracking system for software development projects. Trac system is developed by Edgewall Software. It supports multiple platforms like Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, Windows. Trac allows wiki markup in issue descriptions and commit messages, creating links and seamless references between bugs, tasks, changesets, files and wiki pages. A timeline shows all current and past project events in order, making the acquisition of an overview of the project and defect tracking software progress very easy. The roadmap shows the road ahead, listing the upcoming milestones.
Download Trac Bug Tracker Here: http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall
Mantis Bug Tracker is a open source web-based Bug Tracking System. It is written in PHP and works with multiple databases like MS SQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.
Mantis has multiple items & dived into multi-level hierarchy as follows:
Projects -> Sub Projects -> Categories -> Bugs
Based on user access & permission rights user can contribute to each item.
Mantis is powerful tool integrated with few applications like time tracking, chat, wiki, RSS feeds & many more.
- Open source tool (GPL License)
- Supports any platform that runs PHP (Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris, AS400/i5, etc)
- Customizable Issue Pages
- Users can have a different access level per project
- Support for Projects, Sub-Projects, and Categories.
- Supports comprehensive Email notifications
- Search and Filter – Simple/Advanced Filters, Full Text Search, Shared Filters (across users / projects)
- Supported Reporting with reports and graphs
- Multiple Projects per instance
- Supports Custom Fields
- Allow to Customize issue workflow
- Allow to watch the Issue Change History
- My View Page
- Source Control Integration
- Unlimited number of users, issues, or projects.
- Setup the Anonymous Access
- Supports Time Tracking management
- Available in 68 localizations.
- Changelog Support
- Simple User Experience
- Easy to evaluate
- Allow to see Roadmaps
- Easy to install (both internally and in hosted environments).
Download Mantis Bug Tracker Here: http://www.mantisbt.org/download.php
Bug Tracking Tool: WebIssues
WebIssues is an open source web based issue tracker. This defect management works on multiple platforms also supports team collaboration.
WebIssues is a comprehensive tool with good features like tracking issue, storing issue, sharing issue and file attachments.
Installation and use of WebIssues is very easy & allow to customize many features.
- Open source web based system
- Support multi-platform like Windows, Linux and OS X
- Support multi-database like SQL Server, MySQL & PostgreSQL
- Supports nice search feature
- Comprehensive Email notifications
- Reports export in HTML and PDF documents
Download WebIssues Bug Tracker Here: http://webissues.mimec.org/downloads
eTraxis is open source bug tracking software developing simple, powerful and intuitive software for web-based project management. This system is developed in a PHP language. It supports multi-database like MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS Server and Oracle. This software is supporting the multiple languages. eTraxis gives you a flexible system for managing projects involving multiple organizations by providing a central place for all project activity and information while integrating with users’ existing tools and workflow – all completely FREE.
This defect tracking system allows you to create unlimited projects with unlimited number of users. User can add issues in this system & easily see the bugs assigned to them. User can create n-number of workflows & able to customize as per there need.
eTraxis is more powerful tool & can be use multipurpose system as a bugtracker, a helpdesk, and even a CRM system.
- Flexible permissions
- Customizable workflows
- Complete history
- Powerful Filtering on issues
- Commenting on issues
- Supports attachments in reported issue
- Comprehensive Email notifications
Download eTraxis Bug Tracker Here: https://www.etraxis.com/
BugNet is open source Bug Tracking Tool. BugNet is a cross-platform application that is written using ASP.NET platform and requires a MySQL database backend. The main goals are to keep the codebase simple, well documented, easy to deploy and scalable. Email notifications, reporting and per project configuration of fields and values allows efficient management of bugs, feature requests, and other issues for projects of any scale.
- Open source web base application (GPL license)
- Support for multiple databases
- Support multiple projects.
- Project and Milestone Management
- Excellent Security
- Online support community
- Email Notifications
- Issue Capture
- Good Issue Management
- Easy navigation and Easy to administration
Download “BugNet” Bug Tracking Software Here: http://www.bugnetproject.com/Download.aspx
The Bug Genie:
The Bug Genie is beautiful Issue tracking and project management system.
This system is designed to be beautiful, powerful and friendly. This system is developed in PHP. It supports multi-platform, multi-databases, multi-languages.
The Bug Genie is help to improve the software development process by managing bug reports, feature requests and user feedback. Also provides an easy to use interface.
Issue tracker by ASP.NET:
Issue tracker by ASP.NET. defect tracking tools allow you to create multiple projects, multiple users, permissions to users. User can see all issues to be assigned to them is totally based on the user permission. Tool is easy to use & add related issues in it.
It supports multiple storing databases like MSSQL and MS Access.
- Create Projects
- Add project members and permissions
- Create and Track Issues
- Technologies and Design Approaches Demonstrated:
Issue tracker Download Here: http://www.asp.net/downloads/archived/starter-kits/issue-tracker/
Collabtive is a Open Source web-based project management software. Collabtive is cloud based groupware, easy and efficient for your projects. This software is available in more than 30 languages.
- Unlimited projects, milestones, task lists, and tasks
- Unlimited user with user profiles
- Role-based permission management
- Time tracking
- Reporting and notifications
Download Collabtive Bug Tracker Here: http://collabtive.o-dyn.de/downloadref.php
In this article we have seen most powerful defect tracking tools list. In my next Software Testing Classes article I will be talking about the full list of commercial and freeware bug tracking tools.
If you enjoy this post please consider sharing it with your friends. Also put your thoughts and ideas in comments on if you think of good bug tracking tool other than above list.