First step to proceed in Keyword view is adding standard steps to the Test or Component:
To add new steps, user need to,
- Insert a new step
- Define the step
1) Insert a new step: For action, user can add a new step as a sibling step or a sub step of an existing step and for components, new step adds below the selected step.
First process: To proceed on this, just click below the existing steps (the action or component)created earlier to add steps below the existing steps. If, there is no step created earlier, this process will add the first step to the action or component.
Second process: Right-click on an existing step to choose“Insert New Step”from the context menu or user can drag and drop a test object from the Toolbox pane to an action (Visible in either the Keyword View or the Editor view).
2) Define the step: To do this, choose and click the cell of the part of the step user needs to modify and add data.Each cell of the step represents them as a different part of the step. In the created step, user can define Item, Operation, Value, Assignment, comment, Output only for components, which have been already explained in “Keyword view overview”.
Second step, after adding a new step is selecting an item for the step:
To do so,
1) Choose an item from the list
2) Drag and drop an item from the Toolbox pane
3) Choose a test object from an associated object repository or from the application
1) Choose an item from the list: Click below the Item cell,the down arrow displays with number of Items, choose the item to implement the step from the list. This list automatically displays while inserting a new step.
In case of components,choose Operation to identify a function for the step.
2) Drag and drop an item from the Toolbox pane: user can drag and drop an object from the Toolbox pane to the action or component.
3) Choose a test object from an associated object repository or from the Application: Click the Item cell and get the drop-down list, select the Object from repository (for tests) or Select another object (for components) to open the “Select Test Object Dialog Box”.
Third step, select an Operation for the Step in Keyword view
Here, you will get to know that how to work with Operation of the Item listed in the Item column.
This operation involves,
- Select an operation
1) Prerequisite: In case of components, if you selected a test object in the Item column, the Operation column will display all operations of selected test object.The Operation list involves out-of-the-box operations and user-defined functions that were registered to that exact test object type. When user chooses the Operation in the Item column, all functions related to that operation displays in function library.
2) Select an operation: Click the Operation cell, the down arrow displays, select the required Operation performs on the item of the step.In case of action,the variation of Operation depends on the item selected in the Item column, most commonly-used operation (default Operation)displays automatically for the test object of the Item column.
In case of components,the operation can be either a standard operation or a user-defined function that is permitted for use in the Keywords pane of the application area.
Fourth step, describe Values for the Step Arguments
Here, you will see that how to specify the arguments value for the operation to be performed on the item listed in the Item column.This process involves the following steps,
- Describe or change a value
- Insert multi-line arguments
- Parameterize value to an argument
- Encode a password
1) Describe or change a value: Go to the Value cell and click on the each partition of the Value cell and mention the argument values for the selected operation. The Value cell displays tool tip when you click on the Value cell, this tool tip displays information for each argument. In the tool tip, the argument for the partition that is presently highlighted is showed in bold, and any optional arguments are enclosed in square brackets. Some techniques might show multiple partitions. For example:
Some techniques might show multiple partitions. For example:
In the Value cell you can enter constant or parameterized values. The Value cell value is editable and user can edit the value at any point of time in the Keyword View in QTP/UFT for a test object, utility object, function call, conditional statement, or loop statement. You cannot also change the value (x=10) of a regular statement, in the Keyword View after mentioning initial value. But, you can change the previously mentioned value of a regular statement only in the Editor.
2) Insert multi-line arguments: To insert line breaks to the argument value, press SHIFT+ENTER, the value will automatically change to the string, and displays only the first line of the argument with an ellipsis (…). This format for multi-line argument values is also displayed in the Documentation column of the Keyword View.
3) Parameterize value to an argument: Click the required button in Value cell. The Value Configuration Options dialog box opens to parameterize the value of an argument.
4) Encode a password: You can also encode passwords for use in method arguments and data table cells.