What is BVT (Build Verification Test)?
Build Verification Test is a set of pre-defined test cases run on every build to make sure that build is testable for further testing. BVT test is carried out before build pass to testing team for further testing. This test contains pre-defined Test Cases which focus on the core functionality of software application to make sure that build is stable & ok to start with actual testing. This test is done to check the Build validation & Build Acceptance.
So sometimes BVT is called as “Build Acceptance Test (BAT)” or “Smoke testing”.
Why BVT to be carried out after every build?
Many of the testers are thinking of why build verification testing should be carried out once new build is received, so answer is simple “To check the Stability of the build”. If new build received & you are testing functionality but after spending some time you got a blocker issue which blocking all other functionality, this means test team spend time to test application but due to blocking issue test team have to carried out same operation again. So to avoid wasting valuable time of test team we can use automated Build Acceptance Test. BAT is very important to check whether due earlier fixes by developer is not causing any major problems in the build. So here all team members know right away if any serious problem in build or not, this will reduce the tester time wastage & frustration.
Most of the errors are introduce in the integration of modules. Mainly BAT is to check for the project integrity and checks whether all the modules are integrated properly or not. Usually, this process is automated & if it fails then it should assign to appropriate developer to fix & parallel bug should be added. It means upon failing the BVT test build should be rejected & testing should be carried out on previous build. So this is carried out after every new build is received to check any regression is introduced in the build or not.
Keys points to be considered while preparing build verification testing checklist:
The success of BVT test is totally depends on what all test cases included in BVT. After selecting effective build test verification test cases, it should be automated. So let’s figure out what all points to be consider while selecting test cases:
- Build Verification Testing should include test cases which focus on the core functionality of software application & should having more test coverage.
- It should not take more time to execute the test. Ideally it should be 30 to 60 minutes based on the criticality & how vast project is.
- It is executed on every new build & if it is fails then build should be rejected.
- Build verification test cases & process should not implemented in hurry.
- Include only stable test cases, which have known expected results and don’t add unstable test cases.
- Timely Build Verification tests suite should be updated based on the functional changes in the application.
- Purpose of this test is to save the time of test team if the main core features are not working or contains defects.
- Most of the defects are observed in the integration of the modules which are developed by different persons, so selection of test cases is very important. This area also consider while selecting BVT test case.
- Try to log everything which helps to find out test Passed/Failed result.
What is process to run the build verification tests?
- Build verification test case should be executed once new build is received.
- If BVT passes then Build should be ACCEPTED & start actual testing activities.
- If BVT fails then Build should be REJECTED.
- Results should be send to Team Lead or Project Manager.
- Results should be analyzed by Team Lead or Project Manager.
- Find out the root cause of the problem (if any).
- If there is defect then relevant information should be send to respective developers to fix the problem.
- Bug should address to Developer & fix it as early as possible.
- Upon fixing defect, Build verification test case should be executed once new build is received (This is continuous process if build is failed again).
Build verification testing is failed is due to developer is not always true. There are many several reasons which cause failing BAT test case like:
- If the test case automated & used some coding which may introduce any coding errors.
- Use of Automation Tool to execute automated BAT test suite but if defects in the Automation Tool may introduce errors which cause failing of BAT test suite.
- Infrastructure error may cause issues in the BAT test suite execution.
- Failure of Hardware or software which may cause issues in the BAT test suite execution.
Key point to success of BVT:
- BVT test cases should not be written in hurry, Spend significant amount of time for writing BVT test cases scripts.
- Only stable test cases should be included to BVT, this will reduce the probability of failing BVT due to unstable area of software.
- BVT process should be automated, try to automate as much as you can.
- Add log details as much as you can so it helps to analyze the BVT pass or fails result. This log will further helps for developer to fix the defect.
Have you automated BVT in your testing career, if yes please share your experience with our readers in comments below.
If you like this post do consider subscribing to our email newsletter to ensure you will not miss any article on software testing! Click here to get article updates by email or enter email address below.