Welcome back guys in our “How to Test” series where we will cover the most commonly asked questions around writing test cases. In this series I will try to post testing ideas around how to write the test cases on practical objects.
In today’s article I am going to start with the “How to write test cases for Pen?” If anyone asked you to write the test cases for pen in interview then you should not assume the requirement and you should ask the questions around the requirements of Pen like what type of pen is? Is it a ball pen, ink pen, gel pen, fountain pen or any other type of pen? Who is going to use this pen? A Student, doctor, writer, shopkeeper, office use, Astronaut, etc. and on which surface this pen is going to be used?
To write down the Test cases for Pen now I am writing the cases for a ballpoint pen (oil-based paste ink).
Test Cases for Pen:
1. Check if the all parts of the pen is fitting properly and no loose fitting. [Installation Testing]
2. Check if the pen ball is fitted properly and ball is moving with ease. [Installation Testing]
3. Check if the dimension of the pen as per mentioned in the requirement. [UI Testing]
4. Size and shape should be confirmable for writing. [UI Testing]
5. Logo on the pen should be properly printed. [UI Testing]
6. Check if the grip on the pen is superior. [Usability Testing]
7. Check if pen is writing smoothly with continuous and not breaking while writing. [Usability Testing]
8. Check if pen ink is not getting blemish while writing on the paper. [Usability Testing]
9. Check if pressure needs to be applied on the pen to write down on page with least efforts. [Usability Testing]
10. Check if pen is usable for similar refills of different brands. [Usability Testing]
11. Check if pen is writing on the page properly. [Functional Testing]
12. Check if the ink on the paper is belongs with the similar color as what we see in the refill. [Functional Testing]
13. Check if written on paper is not getting fade out after some time. If the requirement saying about ink is water proof then apply water on written text and check the behaviour of the ink. [Functional Testing]
14. Check if the pen is making width of line as per the specified millimeter range. If the pen is coming with two different sets of millimeter ranges i.e. 0.5 mm and 0.7 mm then make sure that line width is properly producing by pen as per design. [Validation Testing]
15. Check if pen is properly working in the flight where different pressure conditions. [Performance testing]
16. Check if pen is not used for substantial period of time and check if ink is not clot inside the pen. Check if user able to access the pen with ease. [Recovery testing]
17. Check if the material used to manufacture is safe to use for chewing or kept in mouth. Generally users are use to put the pen in mouth while writing, so make sure that pen is safe put in mouth or chewing.
18. Check if ink in not being leak from refill in normal conditions.
19. Check if pen is working with different writing angles like the notice is displayed on notice board and user want to write on the notice board.
20. Check if the flow of ink is consistent while writing. The Badly designed pens have the problem with uneven ink flows.
21. Check if the pen ink is not getting dry very quickly or very slowing. While writing on page ink coming out of the pen point, so it should neither dry quickly nor dry too late.
22. Check if the pen is properly working on Space environment if it mentioned in the requirement specifications. [Capability testing]
23. Check if how much long you can able to write with the single refill of pen. [Capability testing]
24. Check if pen is properly writing on different type’s surfaces like smooth paper, rough paper, wooden material, plastic, leather, steel, glass etc. [Compatibility Testing]
25. Check if pen is properly gripped on the shirt pocket and user able to carry on pocket with ease. [Robustness Testing]
26. Check if pen writing point is strong enough to bear a load of different users like some user used to write with some extra pressure on the pen tip. [Robustness Testing]
Negative Test Cases for Pen:
26. Check pen stress testing by dropping pen down from practical height and check if nothing is breaking, no any damage to pen and pen is working without any issues.
27. Hold the pen upwards direction for some time and try to write on paper.
28. Keep the pen in water and try to write on paper.
29. Check how pen is working at different climate environmental conditions like at room temperature, different climate conditions.
Here I have listed down few Test cases for Pen. I have no doubt about there are many more interesting test cases you can write down for Pen. So here I am waiting for such great ideas, you can write down test case around pen in the comment below. I really appreciate if you take up this Testing Challenge to get the good test cases for pen to our readers.